This easy potato salad is an all-time favourite and a crowd pleaser. It has eggs, sausages, carrots, and cucumbers to make it absolutely filling and so delicious. It gets its creaminess from a perfect blend of mayonnaise, salad cream, and mustard. This recipe is a must try if you are a fan of potatoes and truthfully this tastes even better the next day.
I love to eat potato salad with grilled meats or sausages but it also goes well with fried rice. Other potato recipes to try are these German Bratkartoffel, these easy smashed potatoes or veggie wraps that contain potatoes.
Inspired to make other salads? Then check out these delicious ones.
Making a potato salad is not hard and the ingredients are not so out there that you cannot find them. Apart from potatoes, the standard for me are onions, cucumbers, carrots, and eggs. The additional ingredients like parsley and chives (garlic) can be left out but they greatly improve this dish.
If you have breakfast ham or sausages like a Frankfurter or Bockwurst, you can chop those and add them to the salad as well. The meat is optional however and is a matter of personal choice or dietary considerations.
The first step is to cook the potatoes to let them cool. You can boil them with the peel or you can peel them before use. I use both methods interchangeably in everyday life but in this recipe, I peel them first, chop them and then boil them.
The next step is to boil the eggs and then chop them into bits and then do the same for all the other ingredients. Details can be found in the recipe card. Cover the chopped onions in vinegar for a few minutes but don't throw the vinegar away.
Once the potatoes are cool, mix all of the ingredients together, and then add a bit of vegetable oil to make the mixing easier. At this point taste for salt before you add the salad dressing.
I think the perfect dressing for potato salad hands down is Miracle Whip but this salad dressing with mustard, salad cream, and mayonnaise is a close second. With the vinegar, plus black pepper and milk, this dressing is a slightly tangy, slightly sweet, mustardy, and creamy delight.
You can also use this dressing as a sauce in your sandwiches or your egg salads. It is that good. If you are ever looking for an easy potato salad recipe, then this is the recipe to try.
- Honey-Mustard Dressing - this creamy and easy potato salad is absolutely delicious however if you aren't a fan of creamy salads, then a honey-mustard dressing is honestly just as good.
- Chives - these are more commonly used in potato salads than garlic chives (which I use in this recipe) so if you can get your hands on chives, then use that.
- Fleischwurst - this is a German sausage which is great not only in potato salads but also pasta salads.
- Pickled cucumbers - instead of using regular cucumbers use some pickled cucumbers for your salad and thank me later.
- Salad Cream - if you do not have salad cream, add a bit more mayonnaise or a bit of yoghurt with some honey to get an equally delicious potato salad.
How to store potato salad
This salad can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days. I have never kept potato salads past 3 days, but that is because there is never any left.
- If you peel and chop the potatoes before boiling, be careful not to overcook the potatoes into mush. It is easy to forget and overcook the potatoes, so be mindful of that.
- Do not keep this salad out of the fridge for too long. Especially on a hot day this can go bad pretty quickly.
Easy Potato Salad
- 1.3 kg potatoes
- 5 eggs
- ½ medium red onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 frankfurter or bockwurst chopped
- parsley chopped
- garlic chives chopped
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise heaped
- 3 tablespoons salad cream
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- white pepper to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil optional
- Chop potatoes, add salt, black pepper, and onion powder, and boil until a fork easily goes through. Leave them to cool.
- Chop the onions and soak them in vinegar for about 5 minutes.
- Boil the eggs, peel them, and chop them into small pieces.
- Grate carrots, then remove seeds from cucumber and chop.
- Mix mayonnaise, mustard, and salad cream. Add black pepper and salt and thin out the dressing with some milk. Mix until you are satisfied with the consistency. See notes 1.
- Place the potatoes in a large bowl and then add all the chopped ingredients. Add the salad dressing and mix. Taste and adjust salt and black pepper as necessary.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- In this recipe, I add about 6 tablespoons of milk to the salad dressing. If you want a thicker, stiffer dressing then you can reduce this amount. If you generally like a thinner dressing then add some more milk.
Potato salad can be eaten with grilled sausages, grilled meats, fried rice, and grilled fish.
You do not have to, however potato salads without eggs almost seem incomplete.
This totally depends on you. If you want to make a potato salad with potatoes that have skin on, you can do that. Just make sure that you are cleaning your potatoes well. If you intend to remove the skin for your salad, you can either cook them with the peel and then remove them once they are ready or peel them before cooking.
Yes! Potato salads generally taste even better the next day. Just make sure to store your salad in the fridge and take it out when you are ready to eat.