Valentine’s day is almost here and what better time to make these chocolate waffles. Ghana happens to be one of the major producers of cocoa beans. Therefore it’s also only right that I use chocolates made in Ghana for these tasty waffles.
Golden Tree Chocolate is one of the most popular brands in Ghana but in recent years there has been a rise of many other amazing artisans. Talking Drum Chocolate, Niche, 57 Chocolate, and Midunu are only a few of the many Ghanaian chocolate makers. If you’re looking to make something not overly complicated these heart-shaped chocolate waffles are a must-try recipe.
The chocolates I used for the waffles are the Golden Tree TQ Premium Dark Chocolate. They have a 90% cocoa content and have a rich, intense cocoa flavour. I have also recently used them to test a chocolate cake recipe which I absolutely love.
These waffles aren’t overly sweet so that when you do add your extras like fruits, syrup or ice cream, you get a well-balanced sweetness which isn’t overwhelming.
They also contain a mix of milk and soda water (you can also use sparkling water). This gives them a perfect balance of slightly crisp on the outside and indulgently soft on the inside. If you're looking for other desserts that are also on the light side, you should definitely try this Coconut Dessert or one of my favourites, Tigernut-Biscuit Pudding.
Slather on some syrup, fruit purée, whipped cream or ice cream and you have got yourself an easy to make treat. To be honest, these are just as good on any other day. If you have any leftovers, gently heat them in the oven and they are just as delicious. Happy Valentine's Day!
- 60 grams dark chocolate Golden Tree TQ Premium Bar 90%
- 200 grams all-purpose flour
- 100 grams butter
- 100 ml soda water or sparkling water
- 80 ml milk
- 60 grams brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Melt chocolate in a water bath gently and leave to cool but not solidify.
- Sift flour and add a pinch of salt.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until well incorporated and fluffy.
- Add eggs into the bowl, one after the other until well mixed and then add in melted chocolate.
- Mix water with milk.
- Add half of the flour and then half of the water-milk mix. Mix until just well incorporated and then add in the second half of the flour and then water-milk mixture. Do not overmix.
- Heat waffle iron and using a brush, lightly oil the inside.
- Add a ladle full of batter into the waffle iron until the base is just covered.
- Bake for about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with fruit, syrup or ice cream.
Leave a Reply